Tuesday, January 26, 2010

6. Go Vegan for a month

Done!

Well, I've actually been 99% vegan for a few months now. I've just slacked on blogging about it. I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, eating no meat or eggs, and very little dairy, plus avoiding many products that have been tested on animals or are made from animals . That made the transition to a vegan lifestyle relatively easy.

Some challenges were:
1. Companies put dairy and egg in so many processed products because it is cheaper to do so. Even many vegetarian foods are not vegan. I really had to turn up the label reading!
2. Social situations. When people are preparing food for me, it's kind of awkward to broach the subject, especially as this is a new experience for me and for those around me.

Some great experiences were:
1. My hubby being willing to have a vegan household. (He still eats cheese when we're eating somewhere else).
2. Making and tasting some new, yummy vegan food.
3. Pizza without cheese. It isn't greasy or heavy, and I don't feel gross after eating it! I prefer this to pizza with vegan cheese, really.
4. Being proud of myself for taking a stand against the inhumane treatment of animals, taking a step to healthier living, and engaging in an environmentally sustainable lifestyle.
5. Feeling better!

Here's a picture of some delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies, from this recipe:

To view my "50 Goals in 500 Days" list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment