Tuesday, January 26, 2010

11. Bake something and Give it to Neighbors

Done!

For Christmas, we decided to give delicious vegan baked goods to all of our friends and family. This was a huge undertaking, which we didn't realize at the time. Since I am the one who bakes, it led to me having quite a few frantic and stressing days.

The problem was that it was difficult to find recipes that travel well, utilized the ingredients we had, and could easily be made in large quantities. Plus I had to account for a few diabetics, which meant using agave nectar in lieu of sugar.

I ended up making brownies, coconut bars, lemon cookies, oatmeal and dried cranberry cookies, and mint chocolate chip cookies.

The initial batch of cooking went well, but when filling the tins, I found I didn't have enough cookies. So I used what I had, and then had to make more! That was frustrating because I'd been so happy to be done with the baking.

It all turned out just fine, though. We ended up having extra cookies, so I made little boxes of them for the neighbors, thereby accomplishing #11 on my list! So all the effort was worth it, right?

I've decided that for next Christmas I will give many family members aprons, which I will sew myself. I plan on getting started in the summer. Then they can make their own Christmas cookies!

To see my entire "50 Goals in 500 Days" list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment