Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2010: The Year of Enjoyment

Happy New Year everyone! As I look forward to an exciting new year, I have decided that, for me, 2010 will be my "Year of Enjoyment". First, let me summarize this past year. In 2009 I was very busy. There were a lot of changes in my life: moving, getting a new job, starting a post-bacc program, and getting a dog. Plus, we went on long vacations twice. Vacations are nice, but planning and being away from home are stressing. All of these activities combined with my high intensity temperament to make 2009 a whirlwind year. Not much time was devoted to stopping and smelling the roses.

2010 will be my year to smell roses. I will make a concerted effort to enjoy whatever I am doing, rather than focus on accomplishing it so that i can check it off my list. It is amazing how simply making this attitude shift has already improved my quality of life. On Monday evening I took the dog on our daily post-work walk. I truly enjoyed walking the dog and seeing a beautiful sunset over the ocean. Sorry if that sounds too hokey :-) It was quite a pleasant experience, though. I have also found that enjoying what I have rather than getting frustrated at what is missing transfers to many aspects of the home. I have chosen to be happy about the dishes my spouse washed rather than upset about the ones still left in the sink. I have chosen to appreciate the Southern California weather rather than complain about California's restrictive laws.

Now I don't know if I can maintain this attitude of enjoyment forever, but I'm liking it for now. The truth is nothing is perfect, so if I look for perfection I will always be dissappointed. Why not appreciate the positive aspects of what is in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment