Wednesday, February 3, 2010

10. Get a new "in a pinch" dish

DONE

I have become a pro at several new dishes in the last few months. One of my go-to favorites recently has been chili. I got tired of buying canned chili that wasn't that good and seemed expensive for the ingredients. So I transitioned to buying chili spice packets and using my own ingredients, and now I completely make chili from scratch!

It's really pretty simple. First I saute some onions. Then I add in a rinsed can of kidney beans, a can of diced tomatoes, about 1/3 of a can of vege-burger, some pasta sauce, some tomato paste if it's on hand, and spices: cumin, chili pepper, oregano, etc...

I simmer everything for about half an hour or so to blend the flavors.

We usually make chili dogs or chili burgers with the chili, but occasionally we eat it on its own.

Some things I love about chili are that it's warming and satisfying, plus it's healthy.

To see my entire "50 Goals in 500 Days" list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment