Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Confession

I fixate on the distant future and what it may hold instead of focusing on the present. It's an awful tendency. For example, my most recent fixation is a move to Northern Virginia that I would like to have happen in two or three years. I spend time looking at house listings, reading the Washington Post, looking at maps of the area, Wikipediaing the cities, and overall planning my future life. Instead, I should be working on my classwork, working on my business, or doing any number of other urgent tasks. Why oh why do I waste my time?!
This habit is nothing new; I've been doing it for years. In college I was able to control it a little bit because life was so chaotic that nothing went as planned, so I planned less. Now planning is good, but the insane obsessive long-term planning I do is NOT good. I realize this, and I am trying to stop. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment