Saturday, September 19, 2009

Vegan Dog Muffins


Recently I made my dog some cornbread vegan muffins from this recipe on it's a vegan dog's life. I would recommend that blog for dog owners looking to have happy, healthy pooches. My dog loved the muffins! It was like he could tell I was making them for him: he was eagerly watching everything I did as I made them! As soon as they cooled I gave him one, and he devoured it.

To give you a bit of analysis on the recipe, the mix seemed dry, but it cooked just fine. I ended up getting 16 smallish regular-size muffins out of it. The recipe was really easy, and since I plan to give the dog one muffin a day, I have over two weeks worth of muffins!


I'd like to take a moment to highlight that dogs (and cats) can be perfectly healthy and happy on a vegan diet. While my dog is transitioning over right now, I have seen no adverse effects from his new diet. For you doubters out there, I don't see what is "natural" about a dog eating meat byproducts from animals much too large for any wild dog to catch, much less my 20 lb. guy! Plus mainstream meat dog food has a lot of awful additives and is designed for cost efficacy, not healthfulness. There are many books on the subject if you are interested in learning more. Obligate Carnivore is a highly recommended book that I intend to read in the near future.

My dog does eat a commercial vegetarian dog food. On any given day I will supplement it with a few healthy nutritious items. Nutritional yeast, ground flaxseed, molasses, fruit/vegetable parts apple cider vinegar, and oatmeal are common additions. I am now looking to add a daily muffin to the mix to ensure nutritional variety.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the review! I'm so happy that he likes them. Great points on everything, too!

    ReplyDelete