Monday, May 10, 2010

Smoothies & Health

Hi there,

I have time to blog because instead of having a big 'ol lunch, I had a yummy smoothie that I made this morning! I *love* smoothies! Why, you ask? Well, they're delicious. They help me get my servings of fruits and veggies. I don't get any pots or pans dirty making them. I don't overeat with them. So what's not to love?

Today I had a smoothie because I've been feeling a little under the weather yesterday and today. We had friends over on Saturday night, and I had a few drinks. I really didn't drink that much, but I think my body has become more sensitive to alcohol. Recently if I have more than two drinks, I don't feel well for a while. I don't get hungover, I just don't feel well. I think that's because I'm so darn healthy the rest of the time, the alcohol really shocks my body. Who knows, though.

The other reason I wanted to have a smoothie is I've been feeling a little... large. As in, maybe I gained a pound or two. I've been bad about snacking recently, so a little weight gain makes sense.

To address these issues, I decided that in lieu of lunch I would make a smoothie and take that to work. How does that help, you ask? Well, it is a common practice in certain parts of the world to eat less when ill in order to allow the body to focus on fighting illness rather than distract it with food digestion. Plus, I'm getting all kinds of illness-fighting goodness in my smoothies.

Regarding the weight thing, drinking 16oz. of smoothie is a lot less calories than I would have in my lunch. Plus, since it's light and doesn't give a significant "full" feeling, it breaks the cycle of always needing to feel full. I have a bad habit of eating when I'm not hungry, and having a smoothie day reunites me with eating because I'm hungry, not because I'm not full.

What do I put in my smoothies, you ask? Well, I put in frozen bananas. (I buy big bunches of bananas at Costco. When some are really ripe, I peel them, cut them up, and freeze the pieces). I put in frozen blueberries (bought at Costco). I put in spinach if we have it (you don't taste it and it majorly ups the health factor). I also put in some ground flaxseed and chia. These keep me from feeling hungry soon after eating, and they add great nutrients. I put in soymilk, orange juice, and also some water. Then I blend! I used to not put in water, but it really helps the consistency without adding any calories. Plus there's already so many solids, some water doesn't make it "watery."

I now conclude my "ode to smoothies" :-)

1 comment:

  1. smoothies need there own theme song.

    not trying to plugg my blog but i just did one talking(er.. writing) about peanut butter powder, it would be awsome in a smoothie with bananas. its lower in cal then reg pb, thts why i like it:)

    ReplyDelete