Monday, May 10, 2010

Oh! I almost forgot- angry moment!

Guess what happened yesterday? Someone took down a political yard sign we had put up! I was so disappointed that someone would infringe upon my right to free speech. Especially because I have a strong suspicion that it was a neighbor.

So, on Saturday afternoon, a friend of our who's running for state assembly brought a yard sign for us to put up. We put it in a little planter on the street, stapling it to the wood fence behind the planter for support.

Sunday afternoon, my husband found the sign by our trash area. This is why I suspect a neighbor: our trash area is behind a gate. It doesn't look like a trash area: it looks like a gate between two houses that would lead to a backyard. Why would someone open a gate that looks like it leads to a backyard? I don't think someone would unless that person knows it is a trash area. Who knows that? Only neighbors. PLUS, one of our back neighbors always throws his cigarettes over there after he smokes in the driveway (gross, I know). So he's used to being out front and throwing stuff there. Another point against them: from what we've seen, we suspect the neighbors have political leanings that are opposite to our own.

So what did we do when we found the sign? We got out the staple gun and stapled it to the eaves of the garage! It is now much more visible to passerby, and significantly more difficult to take down. Now if it disappears, it's 99% sure that our back neighbors did it. They're the only other ones who can get in the garage and take out the ladder that would be needed to take down the sign.

The thing is, who does that?! It really made me think less of our neighbors, that they would take down someone's sign. It's not an offensive sign, and the candidate is really moderate. Of course even if that wasn't the case, they had no right to take it down. We live in America! People should be better than that. Humanity makes me sad.

I guess a lesson can be learned: don't take down someone's sign. All it will do is piss that person off, and they'll do a better job reposting the sign :-)

4 comments:

  1. Some people!!! We had neighbours who did that when I lived back east ~ every couple of days our sign would go missing. My family owned the printng business that made the signs in the first place so we'd just put a new one up but it was really annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow thats not cool, and you are right, like why would somebody that was just passing through actually go, get your sign, take it off, and WALK with it to your backyard??? thats so weird...hopefully you dont have to deal with them too much in the future...and i jsut saw whats written on your headline thing...that you hd been in calif too long...whats wrong with saying "like" and "she's all" all the time huh???????:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dirtyduck: my biggest thing is "dude" I say it all the time!

    ReplyDelete