Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Welcome to Miserly March!

Geez, it's already the 3rd and I haven't had an exciting Opening Day celebration yet! Let the saving begin!

So what have I done in the last few days to save moolah?
-On Sunday night I made lots of food so that we'd have plenty of stuff for lunches, and no matter how busy I was in the morning, we wouldn't have to buy lunch.

-Last week (pre-MM, I know) I made choc. chip cookies for people instead of buying them gifts.

-I'm currently holding off on grocery shopping until we're out of everything perishable, both so that nothing goes bad, and so I make less trips to the store and avoid impulse buys.

-I'm being extra hardcore about turning off lights when I'm not in the room.

One unexpected windfall is that we received our Costco American Express cashback redemption thing in the mail. So next Costco trip we'll use that, meaning we won't have to pay anything, and we'll get cash for the amount leftover. Yay!

Other exciting upcoming frugal events include:
-making split pea soup! This is an inexpensive (and delicious!) food, plus it'll help us use up some leftover carrots and celery.

-Making some mock meat stuff! This is one of those non-perishable things that I never get around to because I'm too busy using up perishable stuff. I might use some recipes from Vegan Dad, or Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. I was given vital wheat gluten for Christmas, and I'm ashamed to say I've only used it once! I will do more in March, my friends, and I will catalog it here.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing what you do with the "mock meat". I found you from the 20SB vegetarian group and my husband and I are slowly making the transition over, but he hates tofu! it will be interesting for sure. I like the blog!

    ReplyDelete